Skip to content
May 10, 2015 / ldejong4

Tree of Life

Baby,

It’s been so long since I have written to you. I don’t know what has kept me. I did write for you. I promise. I wrote scrawls and scribbles on loose paper and in diaries. I drew stars and hearts and perfect trees with flowers and I underlined the prettiest lines in books I have stacked next to my pillow. But nothing I have written has been good enough. Nothing I have thought of has been good enough and sometimes I feel like nothing will ever be good enough. Sometimes I feel I am not good enough. Not as a daughter. Not as a sister. Not as a woman. And so I sit here, with this dull ache in my core struggling to accept. The codeine from the pink box lets me float a little closer to the clouds and my toes dance. I need to file my nails but I’ll wait. Maybe I will grow them long and paint them like my mother’s. This evening I found a poem in a book I love and it’s for you. It’s for all babies. I will rewrite it here because it’s so beautiful. This is for all babies and for all mothers and for all people who love it like I do.

Tree of Life (Eavan Boland)

A tree on a moonless night

has no sap or colour.

It has no flower and no fruit.

It waits for the sun to find them.

I cannot find you

in this dark hour

dear child.

Wait

for dawn to make us clear to one another.

Let the sun

inch above the roof-tops,

Let love

be the light that shows again

the blossom to the root.

Advertisements

6 Comments

1. Shane / May 11 2015 8:00 am

Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

That’s a beautiful poem that (a bit shamefully) I’m not sure I read before.

On feelings of inadequacy, I can empathise. Most days, generally most mornings before I make it down the stairs, I feel like I’m letting everyone down.

• ldejong4 / May 11 2015 8:03 am

I never had either and I treated myself to one of her collections this weekend. I like her style very much. Ahhh – writers… we are sensitive souls 🙂 But thank God for all feelings, good and bad. They give us interesting stories to write about.

• Shane / May 11 2015 8:44 am

I just realised that my initial comment was hugely (and a bit unintentionally) depressive. Apologies.

But a hearty yes to the “sensitive souls” bit…

• ldejong4 / May 11 2015 8:50 am

haha it’s cos we’re Irish! Enjoy the sun today.

2. chicauniqua / May 28 2015 7:29 am

Absolutely gorgeous poem Lisa. I’ve never come across it before. Maybe nothing reaches its full potential until the rays of sunlight catch it. I know part of me comes alive when the sun shows its face ☺ Missing you. Catch up essential! X

• ldejong4 / Jun 5 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks my dear! I treated myself to her collection. It’s a lovely book to have on my nightstand. Are you in Dublin still working? X